Search This Blog

1.31.2010

Tidbit: Taste Test

So I'm a person who enjoys kind of strong tastes, let's say. Blue cheese, sharp cheddar, cabernet, black coffee, the darkest of chocolate...all favorites of mine. Sometimes, I'll dip a piece of dark chocolate (usually Green & Black's 85%...organic, fair trade, and available at Kroger for a reasonable price) into some organic peanut butter for a quick "sweetie."

Anyway, one day a few weeks ago, I was totally out of chocolate (aka "crack" at my house) and peanut butter, but Haley had left a Saris chocolate and peanut butter bar in the kitchen cabinet. So like any good friend, I helped myself to a square or two. And you know what it tasted like? Sugar. I could barely detect the flavor of chocolate or peanut butter. It was so strange, and made me wonder if much of the food consumed in the U.S. has a taste that's kind of "dumbed down" to either super sweet or super salty, so much that we hardly taste the food itself...

No comments:

Post a Comment