Search This Blog

2.16.2010

Review and Tidbit: RM Seafood, Las Vegas and more on sustainable seafood

I just happened on this article in the New York Times about sustainable seafood. I love reading this kind of stuff...this guy is doing a fish co-op!

And for locals here in Morgantown, there's a great new article on Richwood Grill, which has some info on seafood. I think this is the best article on Richwood Grill that I've read.

I've been wanting to do very short reviews of our list of favorite restaurants, so here's some info on RM Seafood in Las Vegas. I was on a work trip, and since it was right before the holidays, I was thinking it would be good to eat light and clean. Sushi would be perfect!

I thought that I found out about RM Seafood on sustainablesushi.net, but now I can't find it when I search. It must have been when I saw that Nobu is NOT a place that serves sustainable seafood that I looked for another place to go. I had also seen this in a magazine on a United flight on the way home from New Orleans in October. Hadn't had sushi for years, but the article about sustainable sushi caught my eye.

Anyway, here is the chef's mission statement (which totally sucked me in)...

"At RM Seafood, we are committed to use organically grown, sustainable produce and sustainably caught seafood. We have made a public commitment to solely purchase sustainable wines by June 2008 and 95 percent of the menu proteins come from sustainably raised or caught seafood. It is our goal at RM Seafood to help our guest connect their individual buying decisions to the health of the oceans and the soil."

So, I was obviously anxious to try RM Seafood, and it was on the entirely opposite side of the strip from where I was staying (i.e., the side closest to Treasure Island, Caesar's Palace, etc), tucked in a corner in Mandalay Bay. A 20-30 minute walk, but definitely worth it. The walk seemed safe enough...I wasn't nervous at all.

My luggage got lost (argh) so I was dressed very casually, in jeans and a cashmere cardi and sneakers, but I felt very comfortable there. I did not have a reservation, which was no problem, I sat at a high table in the bar. Ambiance was clean and modern, there was a tv in the bar with sports on.

I don't know if I'd say this place is kid-friendly, although it was loud enough that kids probably wouldn't be disruptive if they were well-behaved.

The servers were very friendly, with lots of good advice. Not snobby at all, and very interested in the fact that the restaurant serves sustainable seafood.

So on t0 the chow. There was bread with the meal, little biscuits and corn muffins. I wanted to not eat them, but they were irresistable. (Oh well, the 30 minute walk, right???) On my first visit (yes, I went twice), I had the garlic tuna sashimi and the dayboat scallop nigiri for my meal. On the second trip, I had some Taylor Bay scallops and the oyster sampler. Seven oysters on the half shell, all from different places. The small menu described the origin of each, with characteristic flavors. It was so interesting! One said that it would taste like cucumbers, another would have the taste of pumpkin seeds. They were all right on!

So in a nutshell, easily some of the best sushi/seafood I have ever had...and guilt-free to boot!

The oysters were a lot of fun, I thought very approachable for someone who hasn't tried oysters before. They were small in size and very manageable. (I don't know about you, but I'm not a big fan of having an oyster in my mouth for TOO long.

The price wasn't cheap, around $50. a trip. But, I did have a glass of wine each time, which was probably around $10. Well worth it, though. And I would imagine comparable with any other upscale sushi joint in Vegas.

Will definitely go back whenever I'm in Las Vegas. In fact, if I would have had the time, I would have gone back a third time on the same trip. Definitely a good departure from the indulgence, noise, etc. that abounds in that city. LOVE!

Take a look at the website...there's good info on sustainable seafood there.

No comments:

Post a Comment