Search This Blog

2.23.2010

Tidbit: Here's an idea...

This dreary weather is bringing everyone down, including me. I'm trying to cook up a little excitement...see what you think.

So, when I want to buy a relatively expensive piece of clothing, here's something I do. I think to myself, if I saw this at Old Navy, Target, or whatever, would I still want it? The reason is that I want to make sure I'm buying something because I actually like it, not because of the name. Sometimes the answer is "yes" and sometimes "no." If the answer is "no," I just skip it. No need to pay out the you-know-what for a name, in my opinion.

How does this relate to a food-themed blog? Well, I've been thinking about how to express the importance of eating local, organic, sustainable without being preachy or boring. (I hope that some people reading this blog need convincing.) Aside from the fact that it's good to support humane treatment of animals, stewardship of the earth, etc. I think the bottom line is that folks like food to taste good...right? Right. And if you have a family, well they like food to taste good too, right? Right. And organic, local, sustainable food is usually more expensive than food at the grocery, right? Right. So do I think it tastes better just because it's "organic" or whatever other buzzword is attached, or because it's more expensive? I don't think so, but I think we should put it to the test. So here's an idea...

I'm going to try to get a few people to do some experiments with me. For example, I know a lot of people like those rotisserie chickens you can get at the grocery store. I used to like them too. But I don't buy them anymore, because I don't know where those chickens come from. Are they pumped full of hormones, antibiotics, additives, etc.? Are they all cooped up (pun intended) so they spend their whole lives moving no more than inches? I think the answer is a definite maybe. I want to find someone who routinely eats that chicken, and I'll roast them an actual free-range chicken, with no hormones, antibiotics, or anything else. Hopefully, I can get one from a local farm. And I'll just drop it off at their house. The only requirement will be that they guest post for me, and give a comparison. Here's another one...I'd love to grab someone who routinely eats at say, Cheddar's or Applebee's, and send them to Richwood Grill, on my dime, to get an honest guest post about the experience...totally unbiased info.

Know anyone? If you do, send them my way...

No comments:

Post a Comment